House of the Dragon, a Game of Thrones prequel that takes place hundreds of years, even before the events of the original series, is now almost ready to premiere on HBO after a long delay and a false start. Get a deeper look at the characters in the ten-episode HBO Original drama based on George R. R. Martin’s Fire & Blood series with the House of the Dragon teaser. House of the Dragon is set 200 years before the events of Game of Thrones and covers the story of House Targaryen.
House of the Dragon cast: Game of Thrones prequel characters
1. Paddy Considine portrays King Viserys I Targaryen in Game of Thrones
King Viserys is the king of the Pride Lands with a kind heart. His grandfather’s 50-year reign was marked by peace and prosperity, which it is hoped will continue for many more years. However, there is tension surrounding Viserys’ ascent to the throne and his potential successor, fueling the emergence of factions and could lead to a massive conflict. Viserys is a nice, honest, and honorable man who merely seeks to continue his grandfather’s heritage.
2. Matt Smith depicts Prince Daemon Targaryen
Despite being King Viserys’ younger brother, the impulsive and sometimes reckless behavior of Prince Daemon has held him behind in war. As Viserys does not have a legal son, he is theoretically the heir to the Iron Throne. However, many Westeros lords strongly believe that he should not be permitted to rule. He is often referred to as “The Rogue Prince.”
3. Emma D’Arcy represents Princess Rhaenys Targaryen
The aspirations of King Viserys’s daughter, Princess Rhaenyra, who aspires to take her father’s throne after his reign is finished, are for her to become the first queen of the Seven Kingdoms. She is a dragon rider of pure Valyrian blood. Many would argue that Rhaenyra was born with everything; nevertheless, she was not born male. Tradition says that only men may reign; thus, it may be difficult to get the Lords of Westeros’ support for this proposal.
4. Rhys Ifans performs the role of Ser Otto Hightower
Ser Otto is the powerful Hand of the King, serving as Viserys’ closest advisor and having the authority to make decisions on his behalf. As the Hand of the Master, Ser Otto serves his king and his country with unwavering devotion. According to the Hand, the biggest threat to the country is Daemon, the king’s brother and successor to the throne.
5. Olivia Cooke performs the role of Lady Alicent Hightower
Lady Alicent is Ser Otto’s daughter. The daughter of Otto Hightower, the Arm of the King, and widely considered to be the most beautiful lady to ever live in any of the Seven Kingdoms. She was brought up in the Red Keep, which places her close to the King and his most trusted advisors; as a result, she displays both courtly elegance and a keen political savvy. Due to her father’s position as King’s Hand, she has spent most of her life in the royal family, where she befriended Rhaenyra. However, their relationship would be challenged in the years ahead.
6. Steve Toussaint plays the part of Lord Corlys Velaryon
Lord of House Velaryon, a Valyrian lineage as ancient as that of House Targaryen. Lord Corlys is the head of the strong and affluent House Velaryon. His famous seafaring has earned him the nickname “Sea Snake” throughout Westeros. As “The Sea Snake,” the most celebrated naval adventurer in the history of Westeros, Lord Corlys amassed a fortune greater than that of the Lannisters and amassed the world’s greatest navy. Corlys’ marriage to Princess Rhaenys Targaryen united the Houses Velaryon and Targaryen, both equally ancient.
7. Eve Best performs the role of Princess Rhaenys Targaryen
Princess Rhaenys is the affluent spouse of Lord Corlys Velaryon and the cousin of Viserys and Daemon. Both times she was in line for the throne, she was passed up in favor of a man, resulting in a rift between her and Viserys. Despite this, Rhaenys has some advice for the young Princess Rhaenyra.
8. Fabien Frankel plays Ser Criston Cole
Ser Criston is a proficient swordsman from the Dornish Marches and the Lord of Blackhaven’s steward. Criston’s swordsmanship brings him a reputation and prosperity in King’s Landing. Cole has no legal right to any land or titles; the only thing he has to his name is his integrity and an almost supernatural ability with a sword.
9. Sonoya Mizuno appears to be playing Mysaria
Once an enslaved person and prostitute, Mysaria has grown to become Prince Daemon Targaryen’s closest confidante and lover. Mysaria arrived in Westeros with little and has been sold numerous times.
10. Graham McTavish performs the role of Ser Harrold Westerling
Since the rule of King Visery’s father, King Jaehaerys, Ser Harrold has been a faithful and long-standing member of the Kingsguard, serving House Targaryen. Harrold is responsible for guarding and defending Princess Rhaenyra.
Other House of Dragon cast members:
- Michael Carter as King Jaehaerys Targaryen, Viserys’ father.
- Sian Brooke as Lady Aemma Arryn, King Viserys’s late wife and mother of Princess Rhaenyra.
- Jefferson Hall as Lord Jason Lannister and Ser Tyland Lannister – The twin Lannister brothers; Jason is Lord of Casterly Rock and Ser Tyland is a politician.
- David Horovitch as Grand Maester Mellos, a king’s advisor.
- Ser Vaemond Velaryon is Lord Corlys Velaryon’s younger brother and a navy commander.
- John Macmillan as Ser Laenor Velaryon, son of Lord Corlys and Princess Rhaenys.
- Velaryon Laenor (Theo Nate)
- Savannah Steyn as Lady Laena Velaryon, daughter of Lord Corlys and Princess Rhaenys.
- Gavin spoke as Lord Lyonel Strong, Lord of Harrenhal and King Viserys’ Master of Laws.
- Ser Harwin Strong is the eldest son of Lord Lyonel Strong, the heir of Harrenhal and the strongest man in the Seven Kingdoms.
- Matthew Needham plays Lyonel Strong’s son Larys.
- Bill Paterson as Lord Lyman Beesbury, Master of Coin for King Viserys I Targaryen.
- Bethany Antonia as Lady Baela Targaryen – The eldest daughter of Prince Daemon Targaryen and Lady Laena Velaryon.
- Phoebe Campbell as Lady Rhaena Targaryen, daughter of Daemon and Laena.
- Prince Jacaerys Velaryon is Princess Rhaenyra’s eldest son.
- Tom Glynn-Carney as Prince Aegon Targaryen, the king’s eldest son.
- Phia Saban as Princess Helaena Targaryen, King Viserys’s second daughter.
- Ewan Mitchell as Prince Aemond Targaryen, King Viserys’s second son.